Singapore food Reviews, Comforting Home Recipes and Game Guides!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Kwong Cheong Thye (KCT) - THE place to go for mooncake making!

Mid Autumn Festival is coming soon and I am so excited as I will be making loads of mooncakes as gifts for friends and family! Wondering where to head for mooncake ingredients? KCT is the place!

Recently I tried out the Phoon Huat Snowskin Premix recipe which is much much better than the recipe I made a year ago! The snowskin were not sticky and neither were there visible clumps. However, I saw many recipes online using Taiwan KCT Premix and off I headed to KCT near Aljunied MRT to take a look! It was claimed that the Taiwan KCT Premix were much softer than Phoon Huat's and the softness lasts for days.

KCT's normal operating hours are from Mondays to Fridays 930am to 530pm. Do note some changes on their opening hours during  Mid Autumn Festival as follows:

I found out four recipes which I am intending to follow and post it pretty soon before coming to a conclusion on which recipe is better!

1st recipe: 
KCT's Taiwan Pinpe Premix
2nd recipe: Phoon Huat's Snowskin Premix 
3rd recipe: KCT's Fried Glutinous Flour
4th recipe: Phoon Huat's Fried Glutinous Flour

This post will be more on KCT's retail outlet as well as KCT's mooncake which I bought from Takashimaya for comparison with the mooncake I would be making using KCT's ingredients! It was a quick 3 minutes' walk from Aljunied MRT Station.

KCT Retail Outlet

KCT mooncake boxes - I bought the green colored ones.
They do have matching carriers which costs $1.40 each which I feel is a tad too expensive.

KCT premium mooncake boxes


KCT Mooncake Fillings- Sampling
- you may click on the image to see the pricing.
Oh yes, there were soo many fillings that you are spoilt for choice! I bought the red wine cranberry, honeydew as well as lotus fillings. They have a lot of varieties such as chocolate, portuguese custard, passionfruit, mango, cendol, kiwi, low sugar american cranberry, blueberry, white coffee, red bean and many more! All available for sampling!
Word of caution though: you have to pinch the paste yourself and would be good to bring along dry and wet tissue as those paste are pretty oily. Good hygiene to wipe the corners of the samples first before sampling.

KCT Mooncake Fillings

KCT Mooncake boxes



KCT Mooncake Recipes

How's the snowskin mooncakes I made recently? - Will upload the recipes for the four recipes soon! Pardon me for the dull colours as I made them after midnight and the lightings wasn't that great. 

These are the mooncakes I bought from Takashimaya from KCT:
Honeydew Snowskin Mooncake

Red Wine Cranberry Snowskin Mooncake

White Lotus Snowskin Mooncake

KCT's Snowskin Mooncakes were no doubt very soft that it even melts in your mouth. Can you see some crack lines on the mooncakes? I think they were either too soft or the person who made it did not put much effort into making. I was so worried that my own snowskin mooncake would not be as nice but upon seeing the crack lines, I am so confident that I can make better ones! :P

I also feel that eating too much of it at one go will make you feel very sick of it as you are essentially eating only the paste and a little of the fillings since the snowskin are very soft and thin. Hopefully the mini snowskin mooncake that I will be making using KCT's ingredients will be better since there is a higher snowskin to fillings ratio than big ones.

Stay tuned for my recipes! 


You may like to refer to:

(1)Snowskin Mooncake Recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus LinkedIn RSS Feed Email Pinterest

PixelTreats

Contact Me

For any enquiries, please email to pixeltreats2016@gmail.com

Thank you.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Pixel Treats | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes